Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fun Treasure Hunt

     So, the weather is getting nicer at our house and we are itching to get outside!!  However, living in the Midwest we get those off weather days.  One day it's snowing and the next day it's sunny & 50 degrees out!  
     So I was looking to get the kids outside on one of those sunny days to do something fun without taking out all of our outdoor toys for the year yet.  And I came up with a mini treasure hunt.  I always keep a good supply of crafts around, and had a bag of plastic gems.  I scattered them throughout the back yard and let the kids run off for a treasure hunt.  They loved it!  The gems were small enough to make it a tricky game, big enough for the younger ones to find and shiny enough to see their glare in the distance.  Every time the kids thought they had found them all they'd be walking back and stumble across another gem, which would re-energize them to begin the search again!  All in all they spent about a good hour searching for their "treasure" and then came inside and made a craft project out of their gems. 


     If you don't have any gems on hand, use some beads or anything else of similar size and value.  My kids and the neighbor kids loved this game and we hope you'll enjoy it too!

7 comments:

  1. I love this game...you have some great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Happy Saturday, I am a new follower from the blog hop and I look forward to following your blog!...Hope u can come by for a visit! http://adventuresatgreenacre.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I am your newest follower from the weekend blog hop (I am one of the hosts!)!! I am trying to play catch up on all the people to follow! What a great idea!! That sounds like a lot of fun!!I will have to do that with my son! He would LOVE it! :) Anyway I wanted to stop by and say hello! I have three blogs I hope you will follow back if you are not already! !

    http://myowngrocerygame.blogspot.com/(blog hopping one)

    http://firebutterflyjewels.blogspot.com/

    http://mommysmenuplanning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good idea!

    Thank you for joining us for the Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop! I'm now following you! Please remember to join us again next Friday to find great new blogs and make new bloggy friends!

    Jeannette
    www.myadventureinmommyhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from the blog hop.

    That sounds fun! I hope they find them all, my husband would give me some grief come mowing time. I like how it makes them move and really look. Exercise for the body and eyes.

    Hope you get a chance to visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for linking up at Weekend Hoppers. Im your newest follower (Family Approve).

    This game looks fun and easy. My favorite combination. My girls would love this, thanks for the idea! Looking forward to reading more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    This is quite a nice post. Treasure hunt is definitely one of the favorites of all the kids. It is a nice fun activity and also it is good for the kid's mental development as well.
    :)

    ReplyDelete